Wednesday, May 18, 2011

.____________

The line. How far is too far? Social scenarially speaking. And yes, I am aware that is not a real word. But it should be. I know it's a matter of situations: family outings, work place, peer gatherings, church socials, gym, but I wonder quite frequently the point at which you cross the line in the these situations. It seems to be more often than not that we cross it-and interestingly enough, we always enjoy this rebellious crossing. I am a tooter. And it gives me a great sense of pride when I successfully do this without the social population around me being aware of it. And even when they are aware, I feel some pride. Is this crossing the _______? Or is it acceptable? I wonder.

I bet she is wondering the same thing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMOH5kpOmu0


What about inappropriate talk? It seems that we as human beings, beings that have not been raised in the wild, should have a clear understanding of what is okay and not okay to say in public. We, on the other hand, have a more difficult time. Allow me to share a story...

It's Christmas Eve, and everyone whose anyone is at my Aunt Christy's house for a little partAy celebration for the birth of Christ. Lovely time. Probably one of my most favorite times of the year. However, this past year was a tad bit different. During our traditional White Elephant game...




I won that jacket, hot right? Belonged to my Aunt, or my Aunts aunt? Something like that. I won it because my gift was savagely stolen. Which leads into the inappropriateness. So my sweet rock fountain that would have quietly cooed me to sweet slumbers all of its working days, was stolen. I was angry, because clearly that is a sweet gift. When my Uncle Darren stole it from me, I yelled, "CRAP" in front of everyone. Not as loud as you are probably imagining in your head, but loud enough for my older sister to stare me down and mouth, "NOT IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN". Never have I felt more stupid. Duh, you don't say "crap" in front of them, they are innocents. What was I thinking. I wasn't. Hopefully my children aren't too screwed up by the time I'm done with them...

Crossing the line? Apparently.



These are endless stories of how we cross the line, usually daily. And I guess my question is, where does the line begin and where does it end. Is it up to the individual, or up to the social situation?

And ultimately, will this knowledge change how we act...maybe, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment